Vietnamese-style Pho Noodle Soup – This recipe is best for when you have no idea what to cook. You can cook Vietnamese-style Pho Noodle Soup using 15 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Vietnamese-style Pho Noodle Soup
- It’s of Soup.
- You need 8 cups (1.9 liters) of vegetable, chicken, or beef stock (Japanese stock works well too).
- It’s 4 of star anise.
- It’s 4 of whole cloves.
- Prepare 1 of cinnamon stick (about 3 in).
- You need 1 of thumb-sized piece fresh ginger.
- Prepare 1 of onion, cut in quarters.
- Prepare 2-4 Tbsp of Fish sauce or soy sauce to taste.
- You need of Noodles and Garnishes.
- It’s 4 of serving pho noodles or rice vermicelli.
- It’s of Black pepper (optional).
- You need 1 handful of fresh cilantro.
- It’s 1 of fresh lime cut in wedges.
- Prepare 1 dash of your favorite hot chilis (optional).
- It’s 300 g of boneless chicken cut in slices or for a vegetarian option, try fried tofu.
Vietnamese-style Pho Noodle Soup Step By Step
- In a large pot, add the stock, star anise, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, and onion. Bring to a boil, turn to low, then simmer with the lid on for 45 to 1 hour.
- Strain out the spices and onion, then add 2 Tbsp of fish sauce or soy sauce. Taste the soup and add more if needed (it depends on the kind of sauce you use). * You can do up to this step ahead of time and then just reheat the soup when you are ready to eat.
- Add some of the soup to a smaller pot and bring to a simmer. Add the sliced meat and cook for 2-3 minutes. If using fried tofu, skip this step. (You can do this in the large pot too, but I found it easier to dish out the meat evenly if it was separate, or if you are not eating all 4 servings)
- If using fried tofu, grill it a bit in a frying pan (no oil needed) and cut into thin slices. Put on top of the soup just before serving.
- Prepare the noodles according to the directions and drain. Some packages tell you to chill the noodles in cold water, but it makes the soup cold so I recommend keeping the noodles hot! (Just make sure you do this just before adding the soup, or else they noodles will stick together).
- Divide the noodles among deep soup bowls and dish out the soup with the meat over the noodles.
- Garnish with fresh lime, chopped chilis, and black pepper. Put the fish sauce/soy sauce at the table in case you need more. Dig in!