Spicy butternut soup – This recipe is fantastic for when you have no idea what to cook. You can have Spicy butternut soup using 12 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Spicy butternut soup
- Prepare 1.5 kg of butternut chopped into small chunks.
- It’s 2 of leeks washed and roughly chopped.
- Prepare 1 of large onion.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic roughly chopped.
- You need 1.5 litres of water to cover contents in pot.
- It’s 500 ml of chicken stock.
- Prepare 1 pinch of salt and a little extra reserved for croutons.
- It’s 1 pinch of cracked black pepper plus a little extra for topping of soup.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of chilli flakes.
- It’s 1 slice of stale bread.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of olive oil and extra to drizzle over soup.
- It’s 1 of dollop of cream(optional).
Spicy butternut soup Instructions
- On a medium heat, sauté the onion and leek and then garlic in Extra Virgin Olive Oil. When the onion is translucent, add the pumpkin and leave to caramelize for 5-10 minutes.
- Add vegetable/chicken stock and water. Allow to simmer on a medium to low heat for 25-30 minutes or until the pumpkin has a really soft consistency.
- If you own a stick blender, blend to a smooth consistency or if you're like me, you like your soup chunky, serve with crisp croutons
- To make the croutons, take a slice of stale bread and chop roughly, spread on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toast in the oven for 10 minutes. Serve whilst warm and crisp, top the soup with your croutons, an extra drizzle of olive oil and a a dollop of cream if you like.