Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup – This recipe is best for when you have no idea what to cook. You can cook Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
- It’s 1 of butternut squash medium.
- It’s 1 of spanish onion.
- It’s 3 – 4 cloves of garlic , chopped.
- It’s of sage.
- You need of thyme.
- It’s 1 of yam garnet.
- It’s 1 of apple.
- It’s 2 of celery , chopped sticks.
- You need 2 – 3 cups of vegetable broth (as needed).
- It’s of salt.
- You need of pepper.
Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup Step By Step
- Wash whole butternut squash, cut of stem, and place in crock pot at and cook at low heat for 7-8 hours. (alternatively if you do not own a crock pot, place in dutch oven at 200 degrees for similar length of time)
- After 7 hours or when squash is soft, remove from pot, cut squash in half and let cool. Be sure to save any remaining liquid in pot for later use
- Meanwhile, finely chop onion and celery and apple and saute in olive oil until very soft. Then add chopped garlic
- Cut yam into small cubes and place in separate pan with olive oil, cook for several minutes on medium heat, stirring frequently, then add 1/4 cup or less of water and cover. Reduce heat to low and continue to check and stir frequently until yams are soft.
- Once the squash is cool, scoop out seeds and remove skin, then place in large soup pot under low heat
- Add leftover liquid, vegetable broth, and combine all other cooked ingredients into pot as well.
- Use a potato masher to mash everything until the soup reaches a relatively uniform consistency, adding additional broth if necessary. (still cooking on low heat)
- Add sage, thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: Using curry powder and related spices instead of thyme and sage also creates a delicious outcome!