Coconut Curry Shrimp – This recipe is perfect for when you have no idea what to cook. You can have Coconut Curry Shrimp using 12 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Coconut Curry Shrimp
- It’s 1 lb of raw, peeled and deveined, tail off jumbo shrimp.
- Prepare 1 (16 oz) of can coconut milk.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of water.
- You need of Finely diced onion, about 1/4 cup worth.
- You need 1 tbsp of Minced garlic,.
- It’s of Curry powder.
- It’s of Salt and pepper.
- Prepare of Red pepper flakes.
- It’s 1 dash of lime juice.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of butter.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of rice.
- You need of Rough chopped fresh cilantro.
Coconut Curry Shrimp Instructions
- Melt butter in preheated skillet. Add onion and garlic. Sauté on low heat until soft and fragrant. Add a few good dashes of curry powder, black pepper, red pepper flakes (if you want it spicy) and a pinch of salt. Keep on low for another couple minutes. It'll start getting a bit pastey.
- Add half the can of coconut milk, continuing to sauté on low heat until it bubbles immediately after stirring. Add the rest of the coconut milk and the water till it's bubbly again. Add more curry powder and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Once the curry sauce is hot, add the raw shrimp. Continue simmering on low heat, stirring about every 3-5 minutes. Add more spice throughout according to your preference. Let it slowly simmer, stirring regularly for probably 20-30 minutes. Add the cilantro in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Serve over rice.
- The key to this recipe is slowly building the flavor. Emphasis on slowly. Your flame should never be turned high at any time during this cook. It's an easy recipe but requires patience. As always I encourage using your own creativity. Add other Indian spices or substitutions if something strikes your fancy. I've seen a lot of recipes call for fresh basil instead of the cilantro, for example. Cilantro sounded better to me 😁 Enjoy and have fun!