Thai Butternut Squash soup – This recipe is fantastic for when you have no idea what to cook. You can have Thai Butternut Squash soup using 14 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Thai Butternut Squash soup
- Prepare 1 of big Butternut squash.
- Prepare 110 grams of butter.
- It’s 1 of onion.
- You need 2 of bay leaves.
- You need 2 stalks of lemongrass.
- It’s 2-3 of coriander roots or Coriander stalks (optional).
- Prepare 1 Tsp of red curry paste.
- Prepare 400 ml of coconut milk.
- You need 500 ml of white chicken stock.
- Prepare of Salt to your taste.
- It’s of White pepper.
- Prepare of Lime juice (optional).
- Prepare of Coriander (for garnish).
- It’s of Red chilli (for garnish).
Thai Butternut Squash soup Instructions
- Cut onion to thin half moon slices
- Cut Butternut squash to cubes
- Place half the butter in a large sauce pan to melt down. When the butter is foaming, add onion and coat with butter. With very low heat, sweat the onion for 12-15 minutes – cover the onions with damp greaseproof paper and check it every 5 minutes. We don’t want them to burn or catch the pan.
- Add the rest of the butter and the butternut squash to the onions, stir well. Cover again with the same paper from before for 15 minutes or until the squash softens.
- After 15 minutes, check the pan and stir. Place bay leaves, coriander roots, red chilli paste and lemongrass in the pan. Add stock and coconut milk. Also season our soup with a good pinch of salt and a pinch of white pepper. Make sure that the liquid covers all the vegetable and herbs. Stir well then bring it up to the boil.
- Then turn the heat down and leave it to simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, check that Butternut squash by pushing a piece against the side of the pan; it should squash easily. The soup is ready for blending.
- Take bay leaves, coriander roots/ stalks, and lemongrass stalks out of the pan.
- Add all the quash and half the liquid to the blender. Blend and check consistency: thicken with double cream, thin with cooking liquid.
- Pass the soup through the sieve to the serving pan. Season it again with salt and white pepper. You can also add some lime juice (optional and up to your taste)
- Serve and garnish with pieces of red chilli (leave this, if you don’t like spicy taste) and coriander.