Butternut soup – This recipe is great for when you have no idea what to cook. You can cook Butternut soup using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Butternut soup
- It’s 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion, diced.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of grated fresh ginger (or 1 teaspoon powdered ginger).
- You need 3/4 teaspoon of sea salt.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of fresh or dried thyme leaves, finely chopped.
- It’s 1 of medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- It’s 4 cups of vegetable stock (or use chicken stock for a non-vegan soup or water).
- You need 3/4 cup of coconut milk (or use half and half for a rich, non-vegan soup).
- It’s of fresh thyme sprigs, coconut cream (or heavy cream) for garnish.
Butternut soup Instructions
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper, and thyme, and saute until the onion is soft and transparent.
- Add the cubed butternut squash and toss in the onion mixture.
- Add the vegetable stock and stir to combine (You might need to add a little more or less stock, depending on the size of your squash. The liquid level should be just slightly lower than the squash).
- Add the lid to the pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once the soup reaches a boil turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the butternut squash is very tender when you pierce it with a fork.
- Remove the soup from the heat and add the coconut milk.
- Puree with a hand-held immersion blender, or puree in batches in a regular counter-top blender.
- Serve immediately with a garnish of fresh thyme and some coconut cream or yogurt, or store in airtight containers in the fridge or freezer.