Prawns in Tamarind Soup (Sinigang na Sugpo) – This recipe is best for when you have no idea what to cook. You can cook Prawns in Tamarind Soup (Sinigang na Sugpo) using 16 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Prawns in Tamarind Soup (Sinigang na Sugpo)
- It’s 2 pieces (70 grams) of Onion.
- It’s 2 pieces (60 grams) of Tomato.
- It’s 6 pieces (200 grams) of Prawns.
- It’s 1 piece (90 grams) of Radish.
- You need 6 pieces (70 grams) of Okra.
- Prepare 5 pieces (50 grams) of String Beans.
- Prepare 1 piece (100 grams) of Eggplant.
- You need 2 pieces (20 grams) of Finger Chilies.
- It’s 2 pieces (150 grams) of Taro.
- You need 1 bunch of Water Spinach.
- It’s 1 liter of Water.
- Prepare 1 pack of Tamarind Powder or Sinigang Mix.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Salt.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of Fish Sauce.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of Ground Black Pepper.
- You need 1-2 pieces of Calamansi.
Prawns in Tamarind Soup (Sinigang na Sugpo) Step By Step
- Prepare all the vegetables: Wash all the vegetables. Cut the tomatoes into quarters. Peel and cut the onions into quarters. Cut off the stem of the okra and slice it diagonally, about 3 inches long pieces. ©homebasedchef
- Cut off the stem of the finger chilies. Peel and slice the radish diagonally, just about 1/4 inches in width, not too thin nor too thick. Slice the eggplant diagonally, about 1/2 inches in width, and soak in water to avoid discoloration.
- Cut the string beans into 3 inches long pieces. Peel and cut the taro into 1 inch wedges or pieces. Be careful when peeling or cutting the taro because it is slippery. Select the water spinach leaves with stems, usually around 4 inches long. Do not include thicker or harder stems.
- Prepare the prawns: Wash the prawns under running water. Devein the prawns, leaving the shells to preserve texture and color. To do this, use a toothpick and slide it right between two pieces of shell and under the vein then lift the toothpick slowly to pull out the vein.
- Cooking instructions: Pour the water into the pot and bring to boil. Put in the tomatoes, onions, taro and boil over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the eggplant, radish, string beans, and okra. Simmer over low heat until vegetables are tender but the string beans and okra are still green.
- Add the prawns and cook for about 2 minutes, you may adjust cooking time depending on the size of the prawns. Season with fish sauce, pepper and finger chilies. Stir. Put in the tamarind powder, salt and water spinach. Mix well. Simmer for 1 more minute.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and fish sauce and halved calamansi as dipping sauce.