Yam Cake | Taro Cake | 芋頭糕 – This recipe is perfect for when you have no idea what to cook. You can have Yam Cake | Taro Cake | 芋頭糕 using 16 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Yam Cake | Taro Cake | 芋頭糕
- It’s 50 g of Dried Shrimp,.
- It’s 8 of Dried Chinese Black Mushroom,.
- It’s 50 g of Dried Scallops,.
- It’s 100 ml of Canola / Vegetable / Peanut Oil, For Frying About.
- Prepare 1 of Red Onion Finely Sliced Into Rings,.
- Prepare 500 g of Yam / Taro Peeled Finely Diced,.
- It’s of Chinese 5 Spice, 1 TSP.
- Prepare Pinch of Sea Salt,.
- It’s Pinch of White Pepper,.
- It’s 1 TBSP of Light Soy Sauce,.
- It’s 3 Cloves of Garlic Finely Minced,.
- Prepare 200 g of Rice Flour,.
- It’s 1/2 TBSP of Sriracha,.
- You need 1 TBSP of Kecap Manis,.
- You need 1 Handful of Scallions / Green Onions Finely Sliced,.
- You need 1 Handful of Red Chili Deseeded Finely Sliced,.
Yam Cake | Taro Cake | 芋頭糕 Instructions
- Divide the water equally into 2 separate bowls. Soak dried shrimps and mushrooms in the water for at last 30 mins. Prepare a steamer. Transfer the dried scallops into a heat proof bowl.
- Steam for at least 15 to 20 mins or until the scallops are fork tender. Remove from heat and set aside to cool down. Remove the dried shrimps and mushrooms from water. *Do not discard the water as it is needed at a later stage.*
- Finely chop the dried shrimps and set aside. Finely dice the mushrooms and set aside. Once the scallops are cooled, tear the scallops into shreds using your hands and set aside. In a cast iron skillet over medium heat, add the oil.
- To check if the temperature of the oil is ready, place a wooden chopstick into the oil. If bubbles start to form, the temperature is ready for frying.* Add in the onion rings. As soon as the onion rings start to turn golden brown, remove from heat and transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper and set aside.
- Add the yam into the same skillet (with the remaining oil). Saute until the yam starts to soften. Remove from heat and transfer into a large mixing bowl. Season with Chinese 5 spice, salt and pepper.
- Still using the same skillet with the remaining oil, add in the dried shrimps, mushrooms and scallops. Stir to combine well. Add in light soy sauce and garlic. Saute until aromatic.
- Transfer into the bowl together with the yam. Add in half of the fried onions. Mix to combine well. Add the water stock (from soaking the dried shrimps and mushrooms) into a pot over a medium heat.
- Gradually, sieve in the rice flour while whisking to combine. Stir to combine well and cook until the batter thickens. Add in the yam mixture. Stir to combine well.
- Lightly grease the cake pan with oil. Transfer the mixture into the cake pan. Prepare a steamer. Steam for at least 45 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool down completely before slicing and serving, at least 1 hr. Mix sriracha with kecap manis in a small dipping saucer. Serve with scallions, red chili, the remaining fried onion and the sriracha dipping sauce.