Tom Yum Chicken and Shrimp soup (Thai Hot and sour soup) – This recipe is perfect for when you have no idea what to cook. You can cook Tom Yum Chicken and Shrimp soup (Thai Hot and sour soup) using 13 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Tom Yum Chicken and Shrimp soup (Thai Hot and sour soup)
- It’s 1/2 pound of chicken thigh of boneless pieces, cleaned and cut into small thin pieces (about 1/2 inch thick and 1 inch long).
- You need 10 – 12 of shrimp uncooked (medium size), shells removed.
- It’s 2 of tomatoes medium size , chopped into big chunks (roughly 1 inch).
- It’s 1 of red onion medium (chopped into 1 inch chunks).
- It’s 1 inch by 1 inch of ginger piece of , chopped into very thin round slices.
- It’s 6 cloves of garlic medium size , chopped into half.
- It’s 1 tsp of red chilli powder (optional).
- You need 3 – 4 of kaffir lime dried leaves.
- You need a small 1/2 inch of tamarind water – ball , soaked in 1/2 cup.
- It’s 4 cups of water of.
- Prepare 1 cup of coconut milk of (fresh or canned).
- It’s 1 tbsp of lime juice fresh.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt – (per taste).
Tom Yum Chicken and Shrimp soup (Thai Hot and sour soup) Instructions
- 1 medium hot green chilly pepper (you can omit this if you want to keep it mild or use 2-3 if you want extra spicy)
- Wash the chicken pieces and marinate them in 1 tbsp of tom yum paste (reserve 1 tbsp paste for later in the recipe). Toss the chicken pieces into a microwave safe glass bowl with a little bit of water (about 1/4 cup) and cook for about 10 minutes until the chicken pieces are well-cooked.(If you have sensor cook or auto cook in your microwave, you could use that setting or you can also just cook the chicken on the stove). Leave the chicken pieces to cool.
- Meanwhile, take a large pot and boil 3 cups of water in it. When the water starts boiling, add the red onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, green chillies, the kaffir lime leaves, the red chilli powder (if you are adding it) and the 1tbsp of tom yum paste. Cover with a lid and let t cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Next add the shrimp to the pot and let it cook for another 5 minutes. Next take the chicken pieces and try to shred them a little bit using your hands (so that they are medium size pieces to eat in a soup). Add the chicken pieces into the pot along with the chicken stock. Next take the soaked tamarind ball and mash the ball with your hands to get the tamarind pulp. Strain this through a strainer (to get any seed and fibrous pulp out) and pour the thin tamarind pulp into the pot.
- Next add the 1 cup of coconut milk and stir slowly for 1 minute on low flame. Do a taste test and add salt per your taste. Put the heat off and finally add the 1 tbsp of lime juice and stir well. Enjoy the soup while its hot. You can eat this with plain white rice or a piece of fresh french bread. Tom Yum is just Yum!