Beef Kare-Kare – This recipe is perfect for when you have no idea what to cook. You can cook Beef Kare-Kare using 14 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Beef Kare-Kare
- You need 1 of kilo beef cut into cubes.
- Prepare 100 g of Bok Choy (Chinese cabbage) cut.
- It’s 100 g of yardlong beans cut into 2 inch long.
- It’s 4 of eggplants sliced/cut.
- You need 3 cups of water.
- You need 1 cup of ground peanuts or 5 tablespoons creamy peanut butter.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of fish sauce.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons warm water.
- It’s 1 of medium sized onion diced.
- It’s 5 cloves of garlic minced.
- Prepare to taste of Salt and pepper.
- It’s of Cooking oil.
- You need of Shrimp paste/bagoong.
- Prepare of Optional: 3 tbs annatto seeds soaked in a cup of water for colour.
Beef Kare-Kare Step By Step
- Saute garlic and onion in oil until garlic is light golden brown and onion is translucent. Set aside.
- Using the same pan earlier, cook beef for about 30-45 minutes or until tender. Push beef to the side of the pan and add sliced eggplants. Fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add cooked garlic and onion, pour in 3 cups water (if using annatto seeds, replace 1 cup of water used to doak seeds in) and dissolved cornstarch and bring to a boil. Add ground peanuts/peanut butter, fish sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Add yardlong beans and bok choy/pechay and simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Note: Some prefer to blanch their veggies in hot water to cook separately from the meat and sauce to retain crispiness of vegetables.
- Serve over steamed rice and a little bit of bagoong/shrimp paste on the side.